- What is the ruling about swallowing mucus and phlegm for the fasting person?
- Mucus and phlegm that does not reach the mouth, then it does not break your fast. If it reaches the mouth, then it was swallowed there is a difference of opinion among the scholars.
- From them are those that say it breaks the fast. They say that this is because it is like food and water. From them also, are those that say that it does not break ones fast. They say it is because it is like saliva. It is known about saliva that it does not break you fast even if it is compiled and swallowed, it has no effect on the persons fast.
- When the scholars disagree, the place to return to is the Quran and the Sunnah. If we are in doubt about the situation of whether or not it breaks the fast. The basic principle is that the fast is not broken and we build off of that, so we understand from this that these things do not break someones fast.
- The important thing is that the individual tries to get rid of his mucus and phlegm and does not to bring it to his mouth from the back of his throat. If it comes to his mouth then he should spit it out whether or not he is fasting. As far breaking the fast, then a strong proof is need so that it may be used a defense in front of Allah for the breaking of the fast.
[Taken from Fatawah Arkan al Islam by Sheikh Uthaimeen]
[Translated by Abu Abdillah Abdul Lateef]
Are you looking for more Fatawah by some of our major scholars concerning Ramadan?
[CLICK HERE] to find more of what you have been wanting to know!!!